[NSRCA-discussion] Work table

Stuart Chale schale at optonline.net
Mon Sep 4 14:36:10 AKDT 2006

Slate is a nice surface and I have also seen a beautiful table based on a
thick glass door (commercial type).  I use 3/4 ply but the frame is critical
to maintain a flat surface.  I would recommend making it out of one of the
many different brands of laminated wood beams such as Micro-Lam.  Not too
expensive and easy to work with.  If you have a flat 4 by 8 floor to build
it on you will be all set.  The nice thing about laminated ply lumber is it
is very strong and stiff.  So as long as it is straight to start with you
should be able to construct a pretty flat table even without a perfectly
flat floor to build it on.  Just build a rectangular frame with cross
members and cover with your choice of top panel.

Stuart Chale