[NSRCA-discussion] Masters 2007 Figure "M" question-verticalsegments

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Wed Oct 18 13:49:00 AKDT 2006

RE: [NSRCA-discussion] Masters 2007 Figure "M" question - verticalsegmentsFor the record I agree with Glen and Don that the 'M' "should" be flown with both stall turns being the same height (that's why this caught my attention).

When writing my question I initially used the word "ambiguous", then after thinking about it I realized that the way the rule is worded it isn't ambiguous, which to me is a problem. The rule states clearly, "The length of the vertical segments is not a judging criteria." If this sentence was left out then we'd have no argument and the general rules would apply, as Glen pointed out. If this text had said, "the height of the maneuver is not a judging criteria" then there'd be no argument. However, the description explicitly says that the length of the vertical segments is not a judging criteria, why state this if they should be the same?

Again, I'm not arguing that the 'M' should be flown this way, but there's no getting around the fact that it is explicitly stated to the contrary. Shouldn't we consider addressing this in the rules rather than stick our heads in the sand?

It's funny how some people so quickly lost patience with me asking this question when the same people in prior discussions have said we shouldn't make up our own rules but should reference the rule book, basically go by the letter of the law.

Canopy facing or away... this is clearly objective and silly, but trying to understand exactly what the text says and if it should be changed, I think this is reasonable.

If you don't have patients to work through this and figure things out logically then you probably should just delete the message and keep the rude comments to yourselves.

Keith Black