[NSRCA-discussion] Anyone use a Brio 10 (little electric) to practice pattern?

Amar Shan shan at telus.net
Wed Oct 18 08:34:58 AKDT 2006

RE: [NSRCA-discussion] Masters 2007 Figure "M" question - verticalsegmentsI
bought one of these to enable flying closer to home, and I expected that it
would fly somewhat
akin to a 2m pattern plane.  It does not!

- the wing loading seems very high.  The glide characteristics are more akin
to a winged brick
  than a pattern plane ... it really seems to need to land with power (or at
least very nose down
  until the flare)

- Flying it with a Speed 480 - this seems quite inadequate to the task.
Uplines are only
  100-150 feet before it runs out of steam, and you simply cannot pull into
a vertical slowly
  and expect the motor to "tractor" you upwards.  It also seems slow, but
I'm new to these
  little electrics, so perhaps that's normal?

- no braking on the downline at all.  Pushing the nose downwards causes it
to accelerate
  at approximately 9.8 m/s/s  (32 feet per sec squared for our American
friends) ... :-)

Any suggestions?  Has anyone found a way to lighten it?  I'm using a 2150
mAH pack, micro
servos, miniature rx ... can't think of any obvious way to decrease weight.
I don't have a spinner
on the plane, will that reduce performance?  Would an AXI 2808 give better
performance?

And lastly, if I'm expecting too much of this airplane, does anyone have any
good recommendations
for a mini (ie, school yard flyer) size pattern plane?

Thanks!

Amar