[NSRCA-discussion] AL welding with Durafix!!

Jim Woodward jim.woodward at schroth.com
Wed Oct 11 06:15:55 AKDT 2006

Guys,

Received my Durafix yesterday.  The rods come in a re-sealable tube and have
a small wire cleaning brush included.  I couldn't resist giving this a shot
so I did the following tests:

1.	Took a left over section of AL stab tube, brushed it well with the
included wire brush, put it in a vice, and heated the Al tube with my torch
(Butane?? - typical blue bottle torch).  Remembering the video off the
website, I heated up the AL tub section for less than a minute and then
started rubbing the Duraflux rod over the surface of the AL tube section.
After a few passes the rod began melting and "flowing" like in the video.
Seemed to work OK.
2.	Next I took a Bud Light AL-bottle/can and held it in the vice.  I
made NO attempt to clean the bottle lip with the brush.  I then used the
same torch to heat up the bottle/can, made some passes with the rod, and
again, the rod flowed nicely onto the bottle lip section.
3.	After cool down I took some large pliars and tried to peal off the
newly added sections of Durafix.  I could not get the Durafix to peal-off
either welds.

Seems easy enough to apply on these materials.

Jim W.