[NSRCA-discussion] Avoidance

Rex LESHER trexlesh at msn.com
Wed Oct 4 19:44:50 AKDT 2006

Guys, all this sounds really great....  except for one minor detail. You have to see the other plane as Mike has just explained.  Unless the other plane is flying right by your plane, you probably won't even know it's out there...   Most of the time, your caller would have to yell at you to pull or push, or some command to get you out of danger of a collision.  That's part of your caller's job descrition...  "to keep you out of potential trouble.  My normal caller will let me know as I fly, what's going on in relation to closeness of the apposing aircraft.   Always do what your caller tells you.  Don't wait, react...  It might save you a bunch of money!
 You are generally concentrating on your flight so hard, you don't know anyone else exists....  If by chance  you are seeing the other plane, and avoidance is necessary, by all means do what you need to do.
At most local contests I've been part of, if the judges notice that avoidance was necessary and you are out of position,  they will generally interupt you and ask if you want to circle around and refly, right then and there....  This isn't and never has been a big deal.  If it doesn't go down this way, you have the option of appealing to the CD, who will in turn question the judges on their perception of the incident and then decide wether it is worthy of a reflight.  When ever you have concerns with how things are done at a contest, bring it up in the pilots meeting...  That's what it's for!!!!!

Rex Lesher