[NSRCA-discussion] Avoidance

brian young brian_w_young at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 19:13:44 AKDT 2006

If Im close to someone I slow down or extend a turn or something to get out of sequence with them, I take a look around when crossing the box for landing and find the other guy if possible.

  When I have midaired with someone its always been from out of my field of vision though, a where did that come from moment.

  Its hard to see the whole sky, but harder to find a new pattern plane on short notice.

mike mueller <mups1953 at yahoo.com> wrote:
   Hey Ed, you bring up a great point of discussion here. I say that blowing a manuever to avoid a possible midair is a common sense no brainer. At the local level this could be delt with by having a gentelemans agreement set in place at the pilots meeting before the contest begins. We simply have way too much at stake not to have this being done. Mike

Tommy Scarmardo <tretas513 at yahoo.com> wrote:     Ed,
  Sounds like a great idea to me.

  Tommy S

Ed Deaver <divesplat at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Now the ball is rolling on judging, I have another subject worth discussion.  Not sure it has been actually.
  At N Dallas 2 weeks ago, a midair occurred.  Here is the scenario.
  Both pilots were flying on the same track, but spread apart.  On an endbox manuever, both pulled vertical and both held their nerve(to their credit)  It appeared one plane was inside the other.  Suddenly plane #1 pulled to complete his 1/2 square (which appeared inside plane #2) when #2 cut it in 1/2 and flew through it.
  My question is:
  Can pattern effectively begin or have an "avoidance" rule.  These 2 planes were so close had one just pulled the power back a little, let the other one go on, $6K would still be flying.  I realize some overzelous competitors would use this indescretionately, but still we could write in some wording indicating judges had to agree it was in the best interest of both pilots.  As well no change to distance out could occur (not making it a positioning advantage)
  Any thoughts on this one.
  Ed