[NSRCA-discussion] cleaning up an engine ?

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Tue Oct 3 15:32:12 AKDT 2006

I advise against use of carb cleaner.  When I attempted it on some engines I
had corrosion problems.

My preferred method of cleaning an engine with lots of burned on castor or
similar issues is the crock pot + aluminum block rated antifreeze.  Note
that not all anti-freeze is safe for aluminum block engines.

You can also clean some stuff up by placing the engine in a glass jar,
pouring some glow fuel in and sealing it for a few hours.  Never more than
overnight.  The nitro + methanol is a good solvent, but anything it does not
get off in 12 hrs... its not going to get off.

The key should pop out if rapped with a brass hammer.  Without knowing the
heat expansion rate of the shaft its in vs the key... heat may make it fall
out... or may hold it tighter.  The reason heating helps get bearings out of
a crankcase is the aluminum expands more than the steel when heated.  If the
alloy of the key expands more than the crankshaft, you won't get anywhere
with heat.  But... if heat doesn't work, cold will. (stick the engine in a
ziplock bag and toss in the freezer for an hr)