[NSRCA-discussion] Tee in fuel line for OS140 ?

verne at twmi.rr.com verne at twmi.rr.com
Wed Nov 15 05:08:41 AKST 2006

Kelly,
You can accomplish the same thing with 2 lines, 2 tees, 2 dots, and 1
check valve (I use the YS check valve).

The first fuel dot goes to the first tee. From that tee, one line goes
to the tank clunk and the other line goes to the inlet on the fuel
pump. When fueling thru this first dot, the fuel will follow the path
of least resistance and go into your tank.

The second fuel dot goes to the second tee. From that tee, one line
goes to the tank vent and the other line goes to the check valve. The
check valve must be oriented so it allows air into the tank.

All fuel pumped into the tank must go thru the first dot as described
above and the second dot must be un-capped to vent the tank while
fueling. When it's full, fuel overflow will come out of the second dot.
The check valve won't allow fuel to pass through it in that direction
so none of the overflow will come out there.

I'd suggest drawing this out on paper so you can "see" what I'm
describing. Once you do, it'll all make sense.

I've used this system in two Smaragds with OS 140's and it works great.
One plus is that you don't get any raw fuel coming out of the vent line
because the check valve will only let air in but nothing out. The only
caution is that you need to uncap the second fuel dot if the plane is
fueled and just sitting around between flights when it's hot outside.
Since the check valve won't let air out, the fuel expanding from the
heat will build up pressure in the tank and the engine will flood. I
leave my vent side fuel dot un-capped until it's time to start the
engine to avoid the problem.

The system works great and limits the fuel mess on your plane.

Hope this helps.

Verne