[NSRCA-discussion] Masters Square 8

Keith Black tkeithblack at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 16:41:16 AKST 2006

I agree with Don's description on the maneuver, this makes perfect sense to
me. However, I really don't think it matters if you visualize the center or
the first corner as the start because IMO any deviation in track, altitude
change or wing bobble approaching the eight, whether 15 m or greater from
the theoretical start of the eight is grounds for downgrade.

This thinking goes to what Lance was discussing as "no man's land". I'm not
sure there is such a thing, I've always thought of the 15 m entry line as a
minimum.

Let's take an example. A pilot comes out of the Humpty Bump prior to the
figure eight and draws a 15 m straight line. Then they start loosing
altitude and continue dropping until 15 m before center (Lance's theoretical
no man's land). I for one would deduct points from the eight based on the 15
degree rule. I don't think the spirit of the rules is "anything goes", or
"it's not so bad" as long as it's not 15 m before a maneuver starts. If one
does score this way then the pilot that keeps a perfect line between these
two maneuvers will not be rewarded for doing a better job.

Keith Black