[NSRCA-discussion] Hacker Grease

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Fri May 19 13:56:07 AKDT 2006

Hacker has used three different greases that I'm aware of and I'm suspect there's more. I think they're experimenting too. The problem with ANY grease in a gear train is that the grease gets pushed out of the way as the teeth of the gears mesh. That's why the transmissions and differentials in our cars use oil rather than grease. The oil gets moved aside to a degree as well, but flows right back into the game. Grease gets pushed aside and stays aside. With that in mind, we tried 10 flights with Mobil 1 75W-90 gear oil last summer. The gearbox sounded great and felt VERY smooth. Unfortunately, when we broke it down after ten flights, most of the oil was gone. Obviously, the fit between the "crankshaft" and the bearings it runs in is not as tight as what we're used to in a glow motor. Too bad, because the gearbox was very happy with the gear oil in there. I only mention this to prevent someone from trying this if they think of it. Ten flights was okay and the gears still had an oily sheen on them, but I think it would've gotten ugly if we'd gone much longer. BTW, a Google search on Superlube will net you a supplier that sells it in single tubes. I don't recall their name, but "Allied" comes to mine. I bought a tube from them last fall.

Hope this helps

Verne Koester