[NSRCA-discussion] weight limits for electrics?

Dave Lockhart davel322 at comcast.net
Sun May 14 18:31:13 AKDT 2006

Larry,

WOW! I did step into the middle of things didn't I? :)

 *********yes, you did!!!!

I don't really have a horse in that race, so I have no informed opinion. I
think big bipes might be cool tho!

*********More time, more money, more hassle, fewer competitors - not cool!!!

2)Is the current weight rule "fair" to electrics?

************Yes, it is fair.

To me it seems more fair and reasonable to have a take-off weight limit as
the standard rather than a dry weight limit.

*********This idea does make a lot of sense, but as the electrics have
developed (and will continue to develop), true performance parity is not
going to be equal if equal takeoff weights are used.  Just for example, 5 of
the 8 F3A finalists in 2005 at the US NATs were electric - and all under 11
lbs.  Of the 3 glow, I was 10 lbs 10 oz WITH fuel and I think the other 2
glow were about 11.5 lbs WITH fuel.  The electric I am building now will be
about 9.5 lbs WITH lipos, and if I did another glow ship today, it would
probably be 10.25 WITH fuel.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart

DaveL322 at comcast.net