[NSRCA-discussion] electric interference question

Larry ledunn at centurytel.net
Sun May 14 16:59:21 AKDT 2006

I agree. It isn't ALWAYS the BEC :)

I'm using a Medusa HV BEC in my Quest now with no issues at 10S and almost 2300 watts. I use HV BEC's in my Logo 20, Logo 10, Freedom 3D, Funtana 90. I also use lower voltage BEC's in my Maxir heli and in several other 3S setups where I wanted 6 volts to the servos or where I was running too many or to large servos.

I think BEC's get blamed all to often as the SOURCE of the RFI, when they are just a channel for it to get to the rx. BEC's are often mounted close to the controller and/or batteries and the leads often run together. This can cause the BEC to pick up the RFI from those other sources and lead it into the RX.

Removing the BEC might indeed cure the problem, but (maybe) its not because the BEC was generating the RFI.

I have never had a BEC fail, but I have had RX packs go dead unexpectedly or forgotten to charge them.

In most of the cases where I had bad glitching, chokes had little to no effect and toroids were only a little better. The most effective cures for me have been re-locating/routing wires and components. In one case I had a bad servo connecter that did the trick. In other cases, unhooking everything and putting it all back pretty much how it started out cured the problem.

Black magic :)

Larry