[NSRCA-discussion] electric interference question

Larry ledunn at centurytel.net
Sat May 13 19:19:13 AKDT 2006

That type of glitching (power on) can be coming from several things. The battery, ESC, BEC and motor can all be generating noise.

It can often be cured by changing the relative positions of the key pieces - RX, antenna, Batts, BEC, ESC.

Usually the batts cant be moved for CG reasons - but they can be a huge source of noise. Moving other components AWAY from the bats can often help. Shorten up all the battery and motor leads and make sure all connectors are in good shape. Don't route leads from servos or the BEC near the battery. They all act like antennas and the battery is a big generator under load.

The esc needs to be between the battery and motor so your choices there are limited also.

The BEC can often be re-located fairly easily. Keep it as far away from the batts and RX as possible. A torus on the BEC lead sometimes helps too.

The key element is the rx. Remember that every wire that goes into the rx can act like an antenna as far as noise input. Keep it as far away from ALL the other items as possible, but especially the batteries and esc. Try re-routing the antenna.

Sometimes noise reduction in electrics seems more like black magic than science. I have had planes that were uncontrollable until one component was moved just an inch or two or wires were moved from one side of the fuse to the other.

Good luck!

Larry