[NSRCA-discussion] Air Breaks

Mike Darr mdarr00 at comcast.net
Sat May 13 07:32:17 AKDT 2006

Bill,

I have been using what you call air brakes for years on my pattern planes.
You will program both ailerons to go up.  When you do this the nose will
pitch up, so you will need to program a little down elevator in the mix.  I
generally program 11 degrees of up ailerons and 1 to 2 degrees of down
elevator.  You will need to experiment with the correct amount of down
elevator that is needed for your airframe.  This set up will slow the plane
down, and help prevent bouncing during your landings, especially with fixed
gear.  It will also help make your landings more predictable.

Now you may think that you will need up elevator while deploying spoilerons,
because you are decreasing lift on the wing.  The wing lift does decrease,
but the trailing edge of the wing quits flying before the leading edge does.
This causes the nose to pitch up, and requiring down elevator to maintain
level flight.  The down elevator increases lift on the stab, causing the
tail to lift and maintain level flight.

Hope this helps,

Mike Darr