[NSRCA-discussion] Air Breaks

Ed White edvwhite at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 13 06:24:53 AKDT 2006

Generally you want ailerons up and elevator up.  The idea is that  when the ailerons go up you loose lift on the wings.  In order to  get the lift back you need up elevator.  The result is the  airplane flys at a slightly nose up attitude which produces higher  drag, hence the "air brake".

  Start by setting your ailerons up 3-5 degrees.  Then flying high  enough to be safe, at or near idle.  Turn on the air brake.   It should start to loose altitude.  By trial and error you will  need to set the elevator such that when you switch the air brake on, it  keeps going without significant climb or dive.

  You need to be aware of a couple things.  First the braking effect  is not huge.  Second, you don't want to go too far with this  because when the air brake is on, the wing is at higher angle of  attack, which means its closer to stall.  Bad idea on a windy day.

  I played with this a little and was never impressed with the  results.  Its not even programmed any more.  I've had much  better luck with an idle down switch.  I fly YS and find after the  engine is warmed up and flying, it will idle much lower.  I have a  switch set (again by trial and error) that reduces idle on final  approach.

  Ed

Bill Markovitz <wdmarko at yahoo.com> wrote:  I'm interested in using the air brake function for
slower and more controlled landings.  Any suggestions
for a starting point on the aileron and elevator
throws would be appreciated.  Is it better to have the
ailerons up and the elevator down or the ailerons down
and the elevator up?

Thanks, Bill :)