[NSRCA-discussion] Falcon F3A batteries

Chad Northeast chad at f3acanada.org
Thu Mar 30 16:16:20 AKST 2006

Stuart

For pattern I think here and RCU e-pattern forum has the best
answers.....regardless of what anyone says I truely believe that the
experiences posted by those flying e-power are truthful.  The
manufacturers (thats a really bad use of the
term)....assemblers/resellers IMO dont have any real idea of our market
and what is required.  Personally I have kept a lot of data to back up
my experiences...and gather more all the time.

Lab testing is fine (and useful to establish limits), but its still
significantly more friendly than the conditions the average battery pack
will see in the field....the temp swings, varying discharges, storage
conditions/time, etc etc etc etc.  A lab test wont quantify those
variables.  What it may tell you is that under xxx conditions you can
expect 120 cycles from a pack...however break one of those xxx
conditions and you may get one cycle...I think that is the part that
many forget!

If the Falcon cells are Enerland (Flight Power Evo20's/Tanic/Polyquest
and others use Enerland as well) then I think they will probably be good
cells (heavier than TP for = capacity).....although they are quite new
(in our sizes) and dont have the field use that the TP's do at this
point so time still needs to tell the tale.  However our application
only demands 6C average and maybe 13C extended burst so as the packs
improve their discharge capability we stress them less so "budget" cells
should be able to cut the mustard (I hope), therefore...more
choices....lower prices.

If you want to avoid testing....exactly copy a setup that you know works
(maybe someone you know is running electric)....at least that way you
will have the absolute minimum number of stepping (tripping) stones to
worry about.  The moment you try something new that no one else has
tried....IMO you should accept the fact that your new e-power widget
could let out the magic smoke at any time :)  If you are not willing to
light a match to that money you should not be experimenting with new
untried by others equipment.

Chad