[NSRCA-discussion] An education in balsa usage for pattern

jim.woodward at schroth.com jim.woodward at schroth.com
Wed Mar 29 04:53:39 AKST 2006

The electric Extra 300 from Extreme Flight R/C is another education in
consturtion.  The plane is huge for its weight.  Each place the cross
stringers would (in the past) have been a butt-joint, the receiving piece
is flared out such that a notch can be cut to receive the cross stringer.
Now, a 3 sided glue joint with mechanical lock is formed, instead of the
old butt-joint.  The canopy is one-piece clear, painted where necessary
for the color scheme, with a very light balsa frame, held on by magnets.
The cowl is a thin, painted plastic. Extreme Flight did a "break-through"
job on this ARF!
Jim W.