[NSRCA-discussion] Lipo Stuff...

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 22 21:17:32 AKST 2006

I volunteered to answer, and will for myself - and note that I am currently
sponsored or subsidized by/for -
- JR via Horizon
- Castle Creations
- Budd Engineering
- TP lipos via Horizon (for "big" lipos)
- APC props

As a general comment, the majority of smoked ESCs, cooked motors, and lipo
explosions (especially the lipos) I've read about involved at least one or
more mistakes/errors/omissions/abuses that either caused or contributed to
the failure.  Specifically -

I've not had a lipo burn up (excepting a 2s1p480 which shorted in transport
prompting me to revise my method of storage and transport).  I had a 2.5
year old lipo drop voltage underload and TP happily took it back and sent me
a new one for close to nothing.

I've not had an ESC burn up.

I've not had a motor burn up - but I did have a small AXI (well used and
abused) pitch a magnet (couldn't complain for the life I got out of it) and
I had a small Hacker pitch a magnet (replaced 100% free under warranty).

I did break a prototype Budd Mount, and the replacement currently in the
plane has 500+ flights (if that counts, it is a glow setup).

Keep in mind that many of the sponsorships and subsidies are geared towards
prototype and developmental products that may not represent the final
design, or have been manufactured to production tolerances - and part of
that process is often pushing the limits to find out where they actually
are.  Technology is making huge advances in the electric field, and product
lifecycles have been ridicuously short for at least the last 5 years - lots
of progress, lots of improved performance, lots of new product.

On the other end, consider the number of product reviews that never make it
to final copy?  Why not?  Maybe because the point of promotional product is
to generate positive press and not negative press?  Consider the number of
sponsored and unsponsored pilots that reguarly engage in discussions on this
list about which version and what modification works best on a given engine
(but there are no "problems").

Dave