[NSRCA-discussion] Lipo Stuff...

Chad Northeast chad at f3acanada.org
Wed Mar 22 20:59:29 AKST 2006

Because I have not yet had a single one of those things happen!

My only failures ever in my venture with electric were a couple of
Apogee packs, but I was pushing them beyond their limits.  They were not
the same quality of cells we have today.

I have had 4 Plett motors, none failed....Dez failed two because of over
propping (over-heating).  Adam had no failures with motors.

I have had 3 Schulze 32.55K controllers....none failed.  I know of
nobody failing one of these controllers.  I had/have two CC HV 85's the
early ones that both failed but this was a hardware issue I understand
on the early versions and was quite common....I dont think the new ones
do this.  Adam had no issues which his Schulze as well.  Dez ran
Hackers, 77 and 90....to my knowledge he never had problems with them.

I have 4 TP 5300's, ranging from 50-70 cycles.  Measured pack
degredation from new is about 2.5-3.5% loss in capacity compared to a
new one.  Adam ran 6000's and is similar in capacity loss.

I have had in the neighbourhood of 50-70 lipos, mostly 2-3s up to
2100ish mAh...and then the big ones.  I have had about 10 or so puff
from overheating/overdischarging/abuse etc....none have burst into
flames.  I only have manually input cell count chargers that double
check the input....and have yet to input the wrong cell count.

Other than my Apogee's my experience into electric land has been pretty
rosy :)

Dave's post pretty much nailed everything on the nose IMO.

Chad