[NSRCA-discussion] 4.8 volt Vs 6.0 volt

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Thu Mar 9 09:15:07 AKST 2006

On Mar 9, 2006, at 10:28 AM, Bill Markovitz wrote:

> Hi all..........I purchased a Quest and a Futaba 9CAF
> at the WRAM show.  The 9CAF comes with 3151 digital
> servos rated at 4.3 oz/in.  I would like to use these
> servos with the 90 size Quest for competing in the
> Intermediate class and won't be using it for 3D
> flying.  Are these servos adequate for this
> application?  If not, would going to 6 volts give me
> the additonal torque that I need?  How much more
> torque would going to 6 volts give me?  Are there any
> known problems using an on-board 6 volt power supply?
> The 9CAF manual states that driving the servos with a
> 6 volt supply is an option.

You will get a lot of responses to this, which will cover the gamut.

First, I believe you meant 43 in-oz torque.

Second, for all but extreme aerobatics (like snap rolls) 43 in-oz
servos should be adequate.  There will probably be responses that
will say that you need 80 - 100 in-oz torque servos.

Third, you may not be aware, but 30 years ago many of us were using
Kraft KPS-12 servos (smallest and lightest!) in .60 cu-in engine
powered airplanes weighing up to 8 pounds.  The KPS-12 servo had a
torque of 18 in-oz. Think about that for a while.

Ron Van Putte