[NSRCA-discussion] Noise - Overfly - andDifferentAerobaticModelTypes

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Fri Mar 3 18:40:55 AKST 2006

You two should get a room!!!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rcmaster199 at aol.com
  To: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org
  Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 7:47 PM
  Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Noise - Overfly - andDifferentAerobaticModelTypes

  Dean

  Your scribbles, in any amount, are always welcome.

  Matt

  In a message dated 3/3/2006 1:08:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, d.pappas at kodeos.com writes:
    Hi Marguerite,
    There is no saint like a reformed sinner! Yes, up until twenty-four, or so, years ago, Pattern planes were the third loudest planes in Aeromodelling.
    We came after the Pylon and CL Speed guys, including the pulse-jet Speed guys. Now, we are the quietest, save for the electric events and gliders.

    Heavens yes, we have the moral high ground, and all the rest are miserable sinners! Yes, I am being sarcastic, but the point is useful: we need to help
    everyone else in the hobby. Of course, some are reluctant to be helped: the worst heckler I ever had in giving my "how to get quiet" speech at a
    club meeting was from the club President at a site that was largely IMAA-centric. Political correctness makes it easy to mistake the truth for
    "somebody-else-bashing". This is a trap we need to avoid: plain talk is necessary. (yes the pun was intentional)

    Generally, my friends in IMAC suffer from a terrible noise cullture.
    Part of the WOW factor is the doppler shift of the transonic prop tip noise: Waaaaaaaaoooooowwwww!
    Just accept that that is the way it is, otherwise you can never affect it.

    The biggest component in getting quiet enough to be good neighbors is the shift in culture.
    One of the previous writers described his club's good results as a result of a well managed culture change.
    Another described just the opposite. I apologize for not remembering who wrote those notes.
    Fortunately, competitors are somewhat easier to "herd" into a new culture, as a result of a strong group identity.
    Clubs often generate this strong sense of identity, after the noise complaints start.

    now I'll contribute to the quiet ... shutting up:
                                                                Dean