[NSRCA-discussion] heat sink

Jerry Stebbins JAStebbins at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 19 15:05:21 AKDT 2006

I am going to start soldering connectors for an electric. What are youall using as heat sinks to keep from damaging the plastic of the connector. Gotta take a lot of heat to flow properly and get a good joint with # 13 and # 12 wire.. We used to use steel cases to weld #10 and less wires with a magnesium/lithium/alloy material you put in, clamped the case, and lit it off. Really fused everything together. Of course that was back in the 50-60s era.
I have a crimper for sermos high amp connections and those are done for the "charging' hook-ups to a RR and power supply.
Found an OLD soldering iron that is about as old as I am, looks like it will take a good 100 watts to heat up the 1/2in. tip, so I got a good long term heat source.
Thanks
Jerry