[NSRCA-discussion] more sportsmans set up questions....

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Wed Jun 14 08:16:47 AKDT 2006

There are a lot of different schools of thought on this one. If you ask 100
different people, you'll get 100 different answers and opinions.

What worked for me in sportsman was a little more elevator than I needed for
loop segments (windy days can get scary if you have a bare minimum) with a
good bit of expo. I used about 65% if I remember correctly. As I moved up in
classes, the expo decreased.

As for the rudder, tight cables, about 75% expo or better, but this one you
have to just fly the plane across the box and correct your lines with rudder
and see what setting makes it smooth and stealthy. It shouldn't take a lot,
about 60-70% of max travel. Ideally you shouldn't need any more rudder than
your "box" setting to stall turn, but in sportsman, it may not be a bad idea
to have a good amount of throw just in case you make a bad decision. A 5 is
better than a 0. As you progress, you learn how to lead a stall turn, leave
in some power, and (hopefully) turn in the correct direction.

Ailerons should be fairly tame with not a lot of expo, about 30% as compared
to the other settings. This allows you to make slower and nicer rolls, but
correct for wings level a little quicker.

The best thing you can do is practice smooth throttle control. If you zoom
over the top of a 1/2 cuban 8, it will be difficult to get in a straight
line, 1/2 roll, straight line, then smooth and matching exit radius without
going on the deck.

And overall, fly a little slower and try to fly the whole pattern at a
constant speed. Marcio Jorge has this one down pat when he's on his game.

I can imagine how many people think I'm nuts, but one thing I learned fast
is that you don't use an FAI set up for sportsman, and even intermediate is
slightly different, but not by much. So, with that in mind, try everything
and find what works best for YOU and makes you look your best.

-Mike