[NSRCA-discussion] Avalanche - Positive or Negative Snap?

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Sat Jun 10 19:01:38 AKDT 2006

Michael,

  I can't tell you what it SHOULD be, but when I flew the advanced class in '91, I always did a negative snap at the top of an inside avalanche. I only had a couple of judges question it, and without specific statements to the contrary in the rules, they never downgraded.

  I pretty much had to do a negative snap with the plane I was flying. The airspeed was low already at the top of the loop, and an inside snap would cause the nose to drop drastically during the snap.

  Bob R.

Michael Laggis <fishgod at pobox.mtaonline.net> wrote:
  I am wondering if the pilot has the choice on the type of snap in an
avalanche? In Advanced maneuver 14 is an Avalanche. The AMA rule book
states as follows.

"Model pulls or pushes up into a loop, at the top it executes a complete
snap roll, positive or negative, recovers to complete the loop and finishes
in level upright or inverted flight."

I was told by someone at the field that if you pull into a loop it has to be
a positive snap and if you push into the loop it is a negative snap.

My preference is pull into the loop then do a negative snap. Just looking
for some clarity.

Regards,
Michael Laggis