[NSRCA-discussion] Carbon fiber shortage

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Wed Jul 19 05:12:21 AKDT 2006

Tom

Just because those "Road Warrior" movies were film in Australia does not
mean they are true!  Besides, I love $3/gallon gasoline.

1. People use less
2. Alternatives become cost effective
3. Ethanol will replace Gasoline and we can save oil to make CF!

Gray

Hey Gray,

I Think the A380 cant get to Oz fast enough. I think on these long haul
flight routes it will be a good thing-HOWEVER-personally I'm not too keen
to get on anything made by Airbus. I shudder every time I have to get on
one.They seem to have a habit of falling out of the sky. Isn't there some
kind of joke amongst Airbus pilots? Something along the lines of-'why did
it do that?'

I believe Australia is also involved with the JSF.  Down here, there has
been some political debate over it lately, along the lines of, overpriced,
behind schedule and yesterdays technology.....all good stuff really, cause
when we run out of oil shortly, no one will be able to afford air travel
or fill their car with gasoline. I doubt the JSF will be much good to
anyone either sitting on the tarmac ( unless its powered by anti-matter
and Dilithium crystals <VBG>)

I think our dependence on the middle east because of its oil will affect
us all more than we think. Isn't carbon fibre manufacture dependant on oil
as well? How do they heat those furnaces?

Luckily most of my modelling endeavours will remain  in mostly balsa, and
maybe the remaining rolls of carbon in my workshop may become  worthwhile
'stock' <G>  AND even better, maybe my unbuilt PL kits will appreciate in
'value' after all........hehehehehehehe...I wished ..sigh.

Tom

Gray Fowler
Senior Principal Chemical Engineer
Radome and Composites Engineering