[NSRCA-discussion] Carbon fiber shortage

Koenig, Tom Tom.Koenig at actewagl.com.au
Tue Jul 18 16:58:14 AKDT 2006

Hey Gray,

I Think the A380 cant get to Oz fast enough. I think on these long haul flight routes it will be a good thing-HOWEVER-personally I'm not too keen to get on anything made by Airbus. I shudder every time I have to get on one.They seem to have a habit of falling out of the sky. Isn't there some kind of joke amongst Airbus pilots? Something along the lines of-'why did it do that?'

I believe Australia is also involved with the JSF.  Down here, there has been some political debate over it lately, along the lines of, overpriced, behind schedule and yesterdays technology.....all good stuff really, cause when we run out of oil shortly, no one will be able to afford air travel or fill their car with gasoline. I doubt the JSF will be much good to anyone either sitting on the tarmac ( unless its powered by anti-matter and Dilithium crystals <VBG>)

I think our dependence on the middle east because of its oil will affect us all more than we think. Isn't carbon fibre manufacture dependant on oil as well? How do they heat those furnaces?

Luckily most of my modelling endeavours will remain  in mostly balsa, and maybe the remaining rolls of carbon in my workshop may become  worthwhile 'stock' <G>  AND even better, maybe my unbuilt PL kits will appreciate in 'value' after all........hehehehehehehe...I wished ..sigh.

Tom