[NSRCA-discussion] Snap (lesson learned)

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Tue Jul 4 07:02:43 AKDT 2006

> 4. "Burying the Snap" by over controlling will eventually put you in a
> situation that will score poorly.

And if it's a negative snap, as I found out the hard way, you may break
something loose.

I had my plane snapping hard...and I mean HARD. I kept shaking my head, but
everyone around me kept saying "NO don't tone it down, it looks awesome and
you won't zero it, leave it alone!" LOL (It did always come out on heading
and wings level, it was just evil looking).

So, I had a really good round going, and "went for it".....as in, went in
too fast, and buried the controls. I'll say this: there was no denying it
was a snap. But that loud "crack" could be heard in the next county. That
plane went from about 70 mph to oh.....3 or 4....LOL....almost instantly.
Like a 45 degree down warp speed blender. If some snaps have been checked at
14 Gs, this one was over 20. EASY.

Needless to say it over rotated, and as I came out of it, I wondered what
was going to fall off. It felt wierd and the next couple manuevers went
fine. Then I dead sticked and had to abort the flight.

Tank broke loose, cutting both lines and filling the nose of the plane with
at LEAST 8 ounces of fuel. Nothing structural except a couple of very tiny
cracks in the canopy (love those carbon canopies!) So I drained my plane,
set it in the sun, put it all back together and flew the rest of the
rounds.....with a far more tame version of the snap.

So, I learned my lesson. I'll satisfy the judges to an extent, and beyond
that, a snap is a snap and every judge should know what one looks like, you
shouldn't have to break your plane to do it. Luckily all I lost was some
rubber bands and few ounces of fuel. At least I got more than a few jokes
about it =)

-Mike