[NSRCA-discussion] PowerPoint Presentations

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Mon Jul 3 12:26:22 AKDT 2006

On Jul 3, 2006, at 2:52 PM, george w. kennie wrote:

> Can you complete a true 3 second slow roll and still give me a 50 foot
> straight and level entry line b/4 the pull into the Pyramid ???? I
> still
> have strong feelings that a slow roll is in a class of maneuvers
> that are
> requirement-specific to the elemental requirement demanded by the
> sequence
> at the specified time and should not be a pilot's option to be
> employed on a
> whim. The book refers to rolls as having elements that are "crisp",
> and
> there is little in a slow roll that displays "crisp". I remember
> Henderson
> doing a triangle loop with a roll across the top and he was using a
> slow
> roll that was not specified in the maneuver description and I
> objected to
> the practice on the basis that the element was not specified and it
> also was
> a cheat to make it difficult for the judges to determine if the
> pilot knew
> where the correct centering of the roll in the straight line across
> the top
> needed to be executed.
> Of course, as always, I could be all wet, but that's my view.

On this topic, I think Georgie is soggy.  Roll rate is not a judging
criteria, unless different roll rates are performed within a
maneuver.  All roll rates are to be the same within a maneuver unless
otherwise specified.  A good example of roll rate to downgrade is the
Double Immelmann, in which many pilots perform a fast roll on top and
a slow roll on the bottom:  Downgrade.

Ron Van Putte