[NSRCA-discussion] PowerPoint Presentations

Don Ramsey don.ramsey at cox.net
Sun Jul 2 07:54:47 AKDT 2006

Adam,

404-2:    The stall turn must be in the direction of flight.
404-7:    The humpty is defined as 1/4 roll up and 3/4 roll down.  That's
3/4 down and not 3 of 4.
404-12:  Slow roll should be a minimum of 3 seconds
404-18:  AMA rule on snaps is on page 78 of the rulebook.  You can get to
the rulebook through the judging site where the Powerpoint presentations are
found.  But in a nutshell:
1. Since the maneuver is defined as a stall maneuver (initiated by a rapid
stall of the wing induced by a change in pitch attitude), the nose of the
fuselage should show a definite break from the flight path in the direction
of the snap (positive or negative) while the track closely maintains the
flight path. The track visualized as the path of the Center of Gravity (CG)
should ideally follow the geometric flight path of the maneuver while the
nose and tail autorotate through opposite helical arcs around the flight
path. A snap  that does not show a break and stall to initiate the snap, but
does enter a stalled attitude during the maneuver is severely downgraded.

So
* lack of a definite break of the nose is not a zero but severe downgrade
* track of CG should ideally follow the geometry of the maneuver for max
points
Other Points:
* Barrel roll or axial roll is a zero
* Speed of snap is not a judging criteria
* Airspeed may decrease in the snap with no downgrade
* If model is roll to a finish the downgrade is applied using 1 pt per 15
degree rule.

Don