[NSRCA-discussion] The State of Pattern

mike mueller mups1953 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 08:16:54 AKST 2006

 Good points. We could debate this to death in the end it is what it is. All I know for sure is that I love doing it. I'm really glad that there are still enough who share my passion to make it fun. It's healthy to have this debate. When we stop discussing problems it will be too late. Were not going to reinvent pattern. It is what it is. It appeals to a small percentage. Talk it up so we can find those needles in a haystack. Mike

Michael Laggis <fishgod at pobox.mtaonline.net> wrote:  Lets look at this with the circumstances we have today. I am a fairly new
to RC (6 Years). Yes I'm sure that adding turn around to pattern ruffled a
few feathers and lost some flyers but rehashing what happened 20 odd years
ago does nothing for pattern today. I agree that back before turn around
pattern the were very few RC disciplines for people to choose from. Hence
you were either a sport flyer, pattern flyer, or pylon racer. With today's
choices the majority of flyers are either sport, 3D and or IMAC. Pattern saw
its hay day in pre-turn around days. Was adding turn around maneuvers the
death of pattern? I say no. If you really boil it down Scale aerobatics
and 3D is what has caused the steady decline in pattern. IMAC/3D is fun,
it's cool and all the manufactures have jumped on the IMAC/3D bandwagon.
Cost is not the factor. Good gravy, look at the cost of IMAC. You have
people that are just starting out in the beginner classes flying 35% and 40%
planes that cost $4K to $6+K. Even the new breed of 50cc planes are costing
people $2K-$3K and manufactures cannot import enough to keep up with demand.

As I said yesterday. Pattern flying is boring to most flyers. You need to
have that odd recessive gene that makes you a pattern junky. Most don't
have it. Mentoring is the only way pattern will stay alive.

Michael Laggis