[NSRCA-discussion] The State of Pattern

Michael Laggis fishgod at pobox.mtaonline.net
Tue Feb 28 08:08:58 AKST 2006

Lets look at this with the circumstances we have today.  I am a fairly new
to RC (6 Years).  Yes I'm sure that adding turn around to pattern ruffled a
few feathers and lost some flyers but rehashing what happened 20 odd years
ago does nothing for pattern today.  I agree that back before turn around
pattern the were very few RC disciplines for people to choose from.  Hence
you were either a sport flyer, pattern flyer, or pylon racer.  With today's
choices the majority of flyers are either sport, 3D and or IMAC. Pattern saw
its hay day in pre-turn around days.  Was adding turn around maneuvers the
death of pattern?  I say no.  If you really boil it down Scale aerobatics
and 3D is what has caused the steady decline in pattern.  IMAC/3D is fun,
it's cool and all the manufactures have jumped on the IMAC/3D bandwagon.
Cost is not the factor.  Good gravy, look at the cost of IMAC.  You have
people that are just starting out in the beginner classes flying 35% and 40%
planes that cost $4K to $6+K.  Even the new breed of 50cc planes are costing
people $2K-$3K and manufactures cannot import enough to keep up with demand.

As I said yesterday.  Pattern flying is boring to most flyers.  You need to
have that odd recessive gene that makes you a pattern junky.  Most don't
have it.  Mentoring is the only way pattern will stay alive.

Michael Laggis