[NSRCA-discussion] SODA BOTTLE FUEL TANK

Randy hatfield randy10926 at comtekmail.com
Sat Feb 18 15:54:32 AKST 2006

You have have flight that last 2 hours?

Randy
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: RCSkyraidr at aol.com
  To: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org
  Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 5:56 PM
  Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] SODA BOTTLE FUEL TANK

  Hello everyone,

  I just could not resist adding my 1.75 cents to this discussion. I have been flying an airplane, an original design trainer called The Professor, since 1978 using the same 2-liter coke bottle for a fuel tank. I use a neoprene stopper I stole from a Chem lab back then but any of the current glow fuel tank stoppers would also work. The assembly still works fine.

  I don't understand about the "shrinkage" reported here. Have the plastics used in soda bottles changed that much since 1978? My fuel bottle still holds about 64 oz. of fuel. There has been no shrinkage and the big tank remains in great health. The tank is supported in the front and rear and locked in place by a plywood bar.

  BTW - The engine is a K & B 61 equipped with a "Perry Regulated Pump" so fuel draw is constant. Takeoff weight is 14.5 lb. and landing weight is 10.5 lb. This aircraft has been known to teach new pilots to fly RC in just one weekend. Each flight lasts 2 hours but we usually had 5-minute breaks every 15 minutes.

  Best regards,

  Frank Granelli
  NSRCA 1958