[NSRCA-discussion] SODA BOTTLE FUEL TANK

RCSkyraidr at aol.com RCSkyraidr at aol.com
Fri Feb 17 13:56:17 AKST 2006

Hello everyone,

I just could not resist adding my 1.75 cents to this discussion. I have  been
flying an airplane, an original design trainer called The Professor, since
1978 using the same 2-liter coke bottle for a fuel tank. I use a neoprene
stopper I stole from a Chem lab back then but any of the current glow fuel tank
stoppers would also work. The assembly still works fine.

I don't understand about the "shrinkage" reported here. Have the plastics
used in soda bottles changed that much since 1978? My fuel bottle still holds
about 64 oz. of fuel. There has been no shrinkage and the big tank remains in
great health. The tank is supported in the front and rear and locked in place
by  a plywood bar.

BTW - The engine is a K & B 61 equipped with a "Perry Regulated  Pump" so
fuel draw is constant. Takeoff weight is 14.5 lb. and landing weight is  10.5 lb.
This aircraft has been known to teach new pilots to fly RC in just one
weekend. Each flight lasts 2 hours but we usually had 5-minute breaks every  15
minutes.

Best regards,

Frank Granelli
NSRCA 1958