[NSRCA-discussion] OS 1.40 RX mid range loading up problem

AtwoodDon at aol.com AtwoodDon at aol.com
Fri Feb 17 18:47:23 AKST 2006

I was having similar problems 2 years ago and finally resolved it by going
to a mixture control carb which worked very well.  However, the problem
returned when I went to a new plane and did not want to use the mixture control
carb on a new setup with a new plane.  I was able to resolve most of the  problem
by lengthening the pipe in 1/2 inch increments until the transition  smoothed
out.  I resolved most of the problem but still had a some gurgle  in
transition.  I was running Magnum #1 and an APC 17x12.  After some  conversation with
Lance Van Nostrand (AeroSlave), he suggested I reduce the  compression
somewhat by adding a head shim, or reduce the nitro to 15%.  I  tried the head shim
and my problems mostly disappeared. After  that, I went to an AeroSlave pipe
and my problems went away completely.  It  transitioned cleanly through out a
flight and had a nice mellow sound, more than  plenty of power for a 9 3/4
pound plane.  It runs very well on either 15%  or Mag #1 now.

Every condition is different and I don't know if any of this will  help.  I
would suggest the 10% nitro might be a little light for the 16x14  prop.  Have
you tried any higher nitro?

Don

In a message dated 2/17/2006 6:28:55 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,