[NSRCA-discussion] Long gear

george w. kennie geobet at gis.net
Sun Dec 17 09:48:05 AKST 2006

Anthony,
I installed a set of long legged gear on my Javelin by installing a gear
plate to the bottom of the fuse just ahead of the wing, but I also did
something that I have been doing on quite a few models for some time now
which makes it all but impossible to pull the gear plate out. The solution
is to purchase a piece of 3/8"X1/2" maple motor mount stock from your LHS.
Cut this stuff the appropriate length to reach from the aft edge of the gear
plate to the Firewall. If the side of your fuselage is not perpendicular to
the gear plate you may have to do some innovative beveling, but the gist of
all this is to glue/epoxy this member to the top of the gear plate and the
side and bottom of the fuse and the back side of the firewall. Additionally,
you install about a 3/4" wood screw up through the bottom L.E.of the gear
plate and into the motor mount beam and also another screw from the front
side of the firewall and into the END of the beam. You now have the load
spread out over a very large area and steel reinforced. If you're concerned
about weight you can shave the beam to a thickness of about a 1/4" in the
area about 1/2" ahead of the gear plate and 3/4" from the back of the
firewall. Don't worry about the 1/4" area, you can't break this maple stuff
!!
Now, of course, once you've made everything this strong, any major event
will cause substantial destruction, but this methodology is ultimately
successful even on very rough landings that would normally pull out
substantially reinforced gear plates.
Anyone with your landing skills will totally eliminate any future landing
gear maintenance issues using this procedure.
Georgie