[NSRCA-discussion] Cooling outrunners

Chad Northeast chad at f3acanada.org
Fri Dec 15 18:03:59 AKST 2006

I have played with doing just this, Great Planes makes a plastic cone
spinner and aluminum backplate for $10 that makes it easy to experiment.

Within the variables of our tests we could determine no significant
decrease in motor temperature.  Prop and spinner backplate I believe
while rotating are too restrictive to the flow.

Running without a spinner however has a serious impact in temperatures.

Proper ducting from chin/cheeks into the engine bay can work more than
well enough to keep the motor at a good temperature.

Chad