[NSRCA-discussion] Iota power supply quest

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.com
Tue Aug 8 19:54:44 AKDT 2006

How long it takes to recharge the big 12 V bat will depend on the output of
the charger and how deeply you discharged.  If you used 30 amp-hr from the
big battery and use a 5 amp charger it will take 6.5 to 7 hours.

You can calculate the power used at the field by multiplying the amps and
volts you put in the battery(s)  you charged from it, then assume 40% more
went to waste heat.  You'll be pretty close.

There are some losses in any charger, and some losses in the battery when
you recharge it.  The voltage step-up chargers make a lot of heat.