[NSRCA-discussion] Iota power supply quest

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Wed Aug 9 03:53:11 AKDT 2006

Flooded wet-cell deep-cycle batteries that are close to being fully discharged can't be "fully" recharged in 4 hours. If you charge them at 14.4-14.6 volts or so, they might come up to about 80% charge in that time. However, you don't want to leave them at 14.4v for much more than 4 hours, you will want to drop the voltage to about 13.6 to 13.8v, and it will take many hours (maybe 12?) to reach 100% charge. At that time, you should drop the voltage to 13.2v to maintain the charge and not boil the electrolyte.

  You can charge the battery at 13.6v, but it will take a lot longer.

  The best way to use these batteries is to have a large enough battery that you don't drop below 30-40% capacity, this will maximize the number of cycles you can get out of them.

  I had a link at one time with really good information about deep-cycle batteries, I'll see if I can dig it up again.

  Bob R.

Chris Moon <cjm767driver at hotmail.com> wrote:
  Thanks Earl.
    I will try it this way.  I definitely have not been charging it fully since I have not been using the jumper and only charging from the 13.6V for maybe 4-5 hrs.

Chris

Earl Haury wrote:
Chris    If the deep cycle battery is (nearly) fully discharged the Iota will start   at full current (most are 55A) - plug the jumper (the telephone plug socket   thingy) to increase the Iota output voltage to 14.2V. The current flow will   decrease as the battery voltage increases until the batt is charged fully   (less than 1A current @ 14.2v). Without meters it's hard to tell - probably   in the 3 - 4 hour range depending on batt size, then disconnect the jumper   (dropping the Iota to 13.6v) - several more hours at this level will ensure   full charge (likely not necessary), probably not good to just leave it on as   batt liquid may be lost by continuous charging at even the lower level.    Earl      ----- Original Message -----   From: "Chris Moon" <cjm767driver at hotmail.com>  To: "NSRCA Mailing List" <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>  Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 6:32 PM  Subject: [NSRCA-discussion] Iota power supply quest

For those who are using their Iota power supplies to charge their big  deep cycle batteries.  How long does it usually take to charge the deep  cycle, or do you just keep it connected all of the time to trickle  charge?  Since the Iota has no meters or output display, I have no idea  how long to keep it connected and I think that my deep cycles are not  being fully charged.  Any help??    Chris    _______________________________________________  NSRCA-discussion mailing list  NSRCA-discussion at lists.nsrca.org  http://lists.nsrca.org/mailman/listinfo/nsrca-discussion