[NSRCA-discussion] Lighter note

jeffghughes at comcast.net jeffghughes at comcast.net
Tue Aug 8 17:08:50 AKDT 2006

I flew my temptation for the first time yesterday. It was hot and humid and my OS1.40 on a bolly muffler and 15.5 X12 4blade just didn't cut it like it did in my old Jupiter (7,500 rpm). So I decided to drag out my new Mac pipe and try it out. I read all the info and decided to set the pipe 26" from the glow plug to the first baffle. So I had to put an extension to get the right length. Out to the front yard to try it out. It would start, but run rough for about 10 seconds and I had to keep turning out the needle valve till I was at about 5 turns. Finally after running down my starter, I decided something is wrong. Take apart the fuel tank, looks good. Pull the pipe off and blow through it, seems OK. Finally I stick a screw driver in the extension and hit something hard! I pull off the extension which is about 6 inches of an old wing tube and find out there is a piece of dowel glued in completely sealing off the pipe! Now after 1.5 hours, I feel like an idiot and am glad it wasn't
a serious problem at the same time. Cut a new piece from an old wing tube (looking in to be sure it's clear) put it all together and ta daa. starts and runs perfect. Now turning around 8,100. The needle seems real broad (hard to find the peak). Is this normal? I"ll try to fly it this weekend to see how it goes. How do I know if it's too short or too long?