Electric F3A **Klipped ** 4 reposting

Chad Northeast chad at f3acanada.org
Sat Sep 24 06:28:21 AKDT 2005

Del

 >I have never had a gallon jug of fuel catch on fire or burst in my
vehicle or garage

I think I have addressed these concerns as honestly as I could, and what
I shared with the list is 100% what I have experienced.  I have never
burnt down my house or car or started a grass fire.  Lipo's just dont
explode into flames on their own (at least not that I have seen, and I
have a lot of them) !  User error when setting up the charger (cell
count) is the number 1 cause of fires, to me this is akin to throwing a
match into a gallon of fuel as its negligent not to check that your
charger is setup right.  Thats what I mean by crossing your t's and
dotting your i's with the electrics.  With the new Thunder power charger
coming along with their balancers setting the wrong cell count should be
nearly impossible.

 >I want to come out and have fun and relax when flying.. Not to chase
maintaince chores and try to remember more details. They need
reliability and dependability of products that work all the time they
way they should if you want to stay competitive.

That is the great thing about the electric setup, at the field there is
no work!  I can head out to the field and pound through 4 flights (no
charging) faster than any glow plane.  There is no needle to tune, no
engine to start, nothing to clean, no header to break, nothing to fuel.
Can things fail, absolutely.  As Jason said though the majority of stuff
he saw at Hacker were from guys pushing outside the limits of the
equipment.  If you run a YS outside its happy place it will go boom as
fast as an electric will!

 >Many used to having standing joke about need for 3 YS engines to stay
competitive..  I wonder how many packs and chargers and need to have
vehicle full of gas has to be addressed to be truly competitive and to
have backups of how many backups..

When I flew YS I did have 3 motors :)  I rarely used it but in my
experience you were asking for trouble if you didnt have three, I did
have engine failures in both Ireland and in Poland during the Worlds
although it was always during practise and never cost me a round.

I can tell you when I went to France I took 2 planes, 2 chargers, 4 sets
of batteries, a spare RX, a full set of spare servos, spare
extensions/switches etc,12V power supply, and an array of tools.  I
didnt take a spare motor (both Dez and Adam did), and the team as a
whole (3 people) took 1 spare ESC just in case and never used it.....I
started building my backup after I got back from Muncie, and I finished
the control linkages after we got to France :)  I flew it two flights to
make sure it flew and never used it again :)  Both Adam and Dez never
brought their backup models to the starting box, I always did but really
questioned my sanity as I assembled and disassembled it over and over
:-)  I saw other electric guys only bring 1 model to the starting box.
I know of two pilots who failed to start in the three minute time, 1 was
a two-stroke, 1 was a 4-stroke.

As Jason said e-pattern is not for everyone, I can think of a few guys
who I will recommend avoid it at all costs.....but its also not the doom
and gloom of failures that some like to post.

Chad

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.