Electric F3A

Chad Northeast chad at f3acanada.org
Thu Sep 22 15:17:34 AKDT 2005

Response to Eric, but meaningful to all, I hope......

 > I was told 700 + great flights - So I then ask, at what cost?  Was it 20
packs?  The cost, unless sponsored, is around $700 a pack (2 sticks). How
deep are your pockets folks?

I have about 400 flights on my setup, x4 Thunder Power 10s4p 5300 packs,
approx 60 cycles.  That doesnt add up to 400 flights.....I used some
Apogee's earlier in the season which were not surviving beyond about 30
cycles mainly due to the discharge rating being too low.  The new TP
packs though are working very well and I fully expect them to last 100
cycles at least.  I roughly calculated that you need around 250 cycles
to equal the cost of pumping 30% into a 160DZ.  Ignoring all else,
simply cost of fuel and batteries.  The packs are not at that stage yet
IMO, unless you really baby them which wont get you much performance.

 > How long did the packs last? Was it months or more like just a few
weeks?
When I say how long I really mean how many cycles. Talking to experienced
electric FAI users I get numbers like 40-60 on the 8000mAh packs, but
better
on the newer ones. Even at the claimed two flights per charge that's still
pretty expensive!

I only get 1 flight per charge on 5.3 Ah packs.  I have been flying the
TP's steady since about July 1 of this year.

 > Would they be good after a winter of none flying. Could not
get an answer there at all.

No idea, although I may find out this winter!  Yes Li-po's do have a
shelf life and degrade over time.  I think the reason there is no answer
for this is because the earlier generation packs would not last long
enough to test this out.  The newer packs can make it through a whole
season now so we might start seeing some reports on loss of capacity
from sitting around for extended periods.

 > Then I got into how  many motors have been in Tony/Jerry's plane to
get that
many flights. How many repairs to motors for whatever reason.

I dont run the Hacker, and never will because of the gearbox maintenance
required.  The Plettenberg motors that I use required no maintenance
from me, in theory they should last for 1000's of flights provided you
dont overheat and demag them.  I put 400 flights on my motor without a
single failure of problem of any kind.

 > I then got into how many packs you need to take to the field for a
practice
session or a local contest. That obviously depends upon how many chargers
you have. I used to use three 109's. I saw most using 5 chargers and two,
three or even four, deep cycle batteries

I have 4 packs, 2 Schulze isl6-330d chargers.  At the field I use either
a single 28 Ah deep cycle battery, or leave my car running to charge.  I
typically only do 5 flights so that means 1 charge.  I can get 2 charges
out of the deep cycle before its dead.  At contests there is usually a
generator so I run PC converted power supplies (40A) that I got off
Ezone for $18+shipping.  It can power both chargers with enough juice to
charge x2 10s packs @4A (my Schulze wont do that, but the bigger ones
and the new TP charger will).  Thats enough to keep you going non-stop
at a contest.

I always charge my batteries in series so I charge 2 sets of batteries
at a time.  This requires the packs to be within 0.01V of each other
before the charge, which they typically are.  With the new TP 210 - 10
cell balancer coming it will make series charging quite safe.  Coupled
with their new charger there should be very little chance of an
overcharge on the packs (fire hazard) unless one of the components fail.

 > I know that several controllers impersonated in-flight smoke systems.
That
one I knew about and is to be expected when you put a lot of DC electricity
though things, sooner or later, right!

I am running the Schulze 32.55K esc, thats 55A continuous, 73A burst
rating.  400 flights on the same controller not a single problem, and it
runs very cool (less than 100F).

My only complaint with all the equipment I tried were the Apogee packs,
its not that the packs/cells were bad, but that I didnt realize how
often and how long you sometimes run at full throttle with electrics
especially in wind.  With this in mind now, I only recommend to people
to run packs that can give them their peak static draw continuously.  By
not doing this IMO you are pushing the batteries far too hard and they
will fail on you.  The newer 15C packs are all pretty much capable of
providing this kind of power, most of the 10C packs (last years stuff)
were borderline.

The trick to electrics is to cross your t's and dot your i's........move
slowly and understand what is going on.  Get a good voltmeter (Fluke
81438 is an excellent buy), IR Thermometer and a wattmeter.  Check
things often intially until you are comfortable that everything is
working as planned.  Its not like glow where if you prop wrong you land
and change it.....the wrong prop can destroy your motor, controller,
packs!  The electric setups need a bit of engineering and planning to
work right, and once you get it they work great!

They are not as cheap as glow and I dont think they ever will be, at
least not in the near future IMO.  It wont win you contests, it wont
make you fly better! Its a hell of a lot more work outside of the flying
field keeping packs charged.   I did it regardless of cost because I
thought it was super cool and I happen to be an engineer and therefore
tech geek :-)

Chad

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.