Electrics

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 21:49:33 AKDT 2005

I think this can all be boiled down to one simple point. Battery life.

Those of us that would love to go electric have been eagerly reading the
posts from those that have already taken the plunge. Speaking for myself,
I've been waiting for it to become common-place to get enough cycles out of
the batteries to bring them closer to the cost of glow.  Currently the best
reports I've seen are 60 -70 cycles on battery packs. At $650 per flight
pack that's about $9 per flight. On the other extreme my 2-cycle costs are
around $2.50 per flight (17 minute flights).

Personally I'm not looking for $2.50 per flight electric, but $9 is just too
high for me to swallow. If we could get in the $4.00 per flight range I
would be very interested because I recognize all the other benefits
including less airframe wear and tear.

I think one thing that aggravates the situation is that early adopters,
especially those that are sponsored, have been constantly upgrading to newer
battery technology. Therefore, it becomes difficult for us observers to know
when low cycle numbers are due to failures, decreased performance of packs,
or just testing of new technology. In a strange twist it's possible that the
sponsorship of pilots may be discouraging new electric adopters due to
sponsored pilots never reaching high numbers of cycles.

Here's an idea for the battery companies. Along with sponsoring the top
named pilots also provide cycle testing results on the battery packs so
those of us that have to pay for our batteries can justify the initial $3000
investment in packs.

Continuing to watch with interest,
Keith Black