Electrics

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Fri Sep 23 12:48:44 AKDT 2005

On Sep 23, 2005, at 3:36 PM, Jason wrote:

> I don't think anyone is hiding anything, I think "everyone" wants to
> hear
> how bad electrics are. Chad's admitted to his problems, and the
> reasons he's
> had them. I'm not hiding anything. And any "problems" I've had have
> been
> reported. I don't think others are hiding anything either. Most of the
> problems you read about are from testing the product, sometimes beyond
> the
> limits, and that's what is reported. When I was at Hacker, any pattern
> related problems were due to the customer doing tests like a glow
> set-up.
> One can't do that with electrics. If you can experiment, with-in the
> bounds
> of the parts, you won't have problems. But if you go beyond that,
> that's
> when issues arise. I see some that have posted flying 2 flights off of
> one
> charge on a battery pack. I know if I did that with my
> Hacker/ThunderPower
> set-up I'd ruin the packs. And when I was at the Worlds, I did
> re-grease my
> gearbox once. 20 minutes later it was back in the plane and ready to
> go. I'm
> not saying that electrics are perfect, cause they're not. But if you
> take
> the time to learn about them, and do things right, they are another
> alternative in the pattern world. I'm just glad that people like Chad
> and
> Tony are around to really do some organized testing, it makes me feel
> better
> that my messy testing is better kept quiet. But I'll answer any
> questions
> about electrics the best I can. And the first answer is, Electrics are
> NOT
> for everyone!

Amen to the last statement.  I have a small hobby shop and I am careful
who I sell lithium polymer battery packs to.  If I hear the guy saying,
"Oops!" a lot out at the flying field, I won't sell him any lithium
polymer battery packs, just to save him from himself.  We all know the
guy who says, as he's staring at the transmitter screen after crashing
his airplane, "Oops!  This is Model #3, not Model #2"  That guy doesn't
get lithium polymer batteries from me.

Ron Van Putte

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.