Receiver Compatibility with Synth 9zap

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Fri Sep 23 06:32:04 AKDT 2005

On Sep 23, 2005, at 9:11 AM, Michael Laggis wrote:

> I have an older 9ZAP with a synth. module that I have absolutely no
> problems
> with when using my synth, receiver or a cheapy GWS 4ch receiver. The
> radio
> is new to me at the beginning of the season. I switched from another
> brand
> to Futaba. The radio was from a friend that was meticulous in how he
> cared
> for it. It has gone for checkups with no problems. I have now bought 2
> receivers a R138DP - 8-Channel PCM that I thought was bad because I got
> absolutely no range from it. I just recently picked up a R127DF -
> 7-Channel
> FM from the local hobby shop for a new plane. The same thing is
> happening,
> no range at all. I get 15 to 20 feet away from the receiver and it
> locks
> out. I took receiver out of the plane and set it on the bench with the
> same
> problem. Is there a compatibility issue with Futaba receivers "non
> synth"
> and a synth transmitter? Do I have to buy modules for the non synth
> receivers? Kind of defeats the purpose of a synth. transmitter if it
> is the
> case. I guess on the bright side, at least I didn't loose a second
> plane to
> bad reception.

I've had similar problems with a synthesized Futaba 9ZAP.  The strange
thing is that the inexpensive GWS R4P receivers work fine with it, but
the Plantraco DSP4 receivers don't.  The old Hitec 535 had the same
problem, but the newer 555 doesn't.  I've never had a problem with any
Futaba receivers.  I talked to Tony Stillman about it and he said that
the synthesized module had an extra pulse in its output that the some
receivers had problems decoding.

Ron Van Putte

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.