Smallest Car that Conveniently Holds 2x2 Widebody

RUDDERCABL at aol.com RUDDERCABL at aol.com
Tue Sep 6 17:46:49 AKDT 2005

In a message dated 9/6/2005 10:58:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
bob at toprudder.com writes:

Gas mileage is not as good as I had hoped. Highway mpg at 70mph  is less than
24.

As far as I am concerned, a minivan is the best all round  pattern plane
hauler. I have a 1994 Aerostar extended window van. Carried three  pattern planes,
all required field and support gear and fuel for them, personal  luggage for
myself and Kirk Gray and what became known as the "Official Team  Cooler" to
the 1999 World Championships. All with comfort, room for leg  stretching, a
good ride and 22 mpg.

I am partial to the older style like the Aerostar and Astro  with the
removable seats and flat floor. With the seats removed, there is almost  no limit to
what they can carry for two people at a pattern contest for the  weekend. I am
surprized that Ron Lockhart didn't recommend one. Have you  ever seen all the
stuff that Ron and Dave pack in their Astro? And , yes is the  answer, if you
feel compelled to ask me if I can put a whole sheet of plywood  inside. Many
in fact !

The newer front drives such as the Caravan and Windstar can  carry two
planes, two pilots, and gear with the seats in them and  folded.

While not going to contest, they make great get around errand  runners, take
the kids to school, grocery getters.

If all you want is a "pattern wagon" , nice used Astros  and Aerostars can be
found at economical prices (cheap) and they are very  reasonable to insure.
If you need a little more of a second family use vehicle,  they can do, but a
newer style might fit that role better.

I also have a 2000 Explorer and a small trailer that I use.  However, for day
in and day out overall versitility, I would give the nod to the  van.

201,000 miles and a new set of tires, the Aerostar is still  going strong.

Robert Gainey