Smallest Car that Conveniently Holds 2x2 Widebody

Ken Blackwell kblackw at adelphia.net
Tue Sep 6 18:07:14 AKDT 2005

Folks,

You won't believe this one. I have a 2005 Ford F-150 5.4 L V-8 (4-dr
extended cab) that gets 19-20 mpg on the highway......19 at 70 mph and
19 at 65 mph. This is the one with the so called extended cab (4dr). The
super cab with four full doors won't haul a pattern airplane.

Now this isn't 30 mpg nor 25, but it will haul a bunch of stuff getting
better mileage than you might think. I also use it to pull my 6,000 GW
travel trailer and just finished a 10,000 mile excursion to the NATS
then to the west coast and back to Enterprise, AL.  The 5.4L engine is a
real workhorse. It is a long stroke engine with 3-valves/cylinder and
max torque is at 2500 rpm vs 4000 to 4500 rpm form most short stroke
engines which provides much better pulling power than any other engine
of that size that I have seen.

As I mentioned earlier, I have the light weight Aero Express model
trailer which is great, but the extra drag will drop gas mileage on most
vehicles to where it might not be any better than my F-150.

If you can get the airplanes inside the vehicle and it gets reasonable
mileage....this is by far the best way/most economical way to go.

Just some thoughts as you look.

Cheers,

Ken Blackwell