PPG Concept curing question

George Kennie geobet at gis.net
Mon Oct 24 10:05:51 AKDT 2005

Somebody might be interested in my solution to the respirator situation
regarding the spraying of toxic materials.
After spraying several models in my cellar using a high quality respirator
maskI decided that it was probably less than optimally effective due to the
fact that I also have a beard, so I decided  to construct a positive pressure
respirator system. My understanding is that these things are quite expensive
and I'm poor so I rummaged around in my junk stuff and found an old half worn
out 5" muffin fan. I then constructed a 5" square box to mount the fan in and
cut a couple of approx 2" diameter holes on opposite sides of the box on either
side of the fan. Went to Home Depot and picked up a piece of 2" PVC pipe and a
length of 2" diameter vacuum cleaner hose. Came home and drilled a hole through
the foundation and stuck the 2" pipe in the hole and the 5" box on the other
end just above my spray booth and connected the vacuum cleaner hose to the
other side of the box and then removed one of the canister filters from my
spray  mask and made up a wooden disk to fit the filter receptical with a 2"
hole in the center into which I plugged the other end of the vacuum cleaner
hose.Rigged it up to energize the fan with the booth lighting and it seems to
work quite well.
Now I have to tell you that the fan is not a high performance unit, but it puts
out more than I breathe and the excess exits through the other canister. When
in use I cannot smell any paint fumes and yes it's a little cumbersome at
times, but I'm not enamored with the alternatives.With a softer material hose I
doubt that you'd be aware of it.
Oh yeah, I throw a PVC cap on the outside end of the pipe to discourage any
vermin intrusion.
I had some old scrap plywood laying around so the box was free and I think the
hose was around $10 and $2 something for the PVC pipe.
Works for me!
Georgie

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.