PPG Concept curing question

Bob Kane getterflash at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 18:02:15 AKDT 2005

I was spooked by the Concepts paints at first but with
reasonable care you can spray safely. I built a small
spray booth, roughly 4' wide, 8' long, and 6 1/2'
tall. It is made of furring strips covered on all
sides with clear drop plastic. There is a 20" box fan
mounted on one end in the center pulling air out of
the booth. The booth sits in my garage with the fan
blowing out towards my driveway. I originally thought
I would be in the both with the plane, but it turns
out it is easier to stand outside, so one side of the
booth is covered with plastic up about half-way. I
wear a 3M mask #07193, with a two stage filter of
activated charcoal and a fine filter. If you can smell
fumes you have an inadequate mask.

I spray with the garage door open (and the cars moved
out of the drivway) so the fumes are blown outside. So
far, I have not detected any paint on the filters of
my mask, so the booth is doing a good job of pulling
the overspray out.

I use a Chinese HVLP touch-up gun. I plan on covering
this in my next K-Factor article, but setting the air
and paint flow needles is critical, analogous to
setting needles on an engine. Make sure you test spray
on something to check your seetings so you get the
right amount of air and paint.

--- HankPajari at aol.com wrote:

> This may have been covered but I don't recall
> specifics for Concept.   I have
> a couple of HVLP guns and a good compressor but
> don't know what  other
> equipment you need to shoot this stuff.
> Specifically what safety  equipment do you
> need?  Mask etc.
>
> Thanks
>
> Hank
>
> In a message dated 10/20/2005 3:48:52 P.M. Pacific
> Daylight Time,
> getterflash at yahoo.com writes:
>
> I am  using PPG Concept (DCC) paints for the first
> > time. I had innocently  assumed since this was a
> > two-part paint, it cured much like epoxy. But
> after
> > working the stuff for a couple of weeks I noticed
> > the  unmixed paint in the empty cans was "dry".
> So, my
> > assumption is  the paint will "dry" on it's own,
> but
> > would not have the durability of  properly mixed
> > paint?
> > The hardener gets all the molecules link  arms and
> > form a tougher material? Thanks in advance

Bob Kane
getterflash at yahoo.com

http://mail.yahoo.com

List members email returned for mailbox full will be removed from the list.