calling complete for new takeoff

Jerry Budd jerry at buddengineering.com
Mon May 16 07:01:12 AKDT 2005

>On May 16, 2005, at 8:52 AM, Grow Pattern wrote:
>
>>The FAI system is a take-off procedure and landing procedure. They
>>also use a time-to-do-the-schedule system. They changed over to the
>>0  or 10 system to prevent hot-dogging, time-wasting and maneuver
>>practicing during a contest.
>>
>>Did we have that problem? What was broken??
>
>How short our memory gets at times.  Apparently nobody can remember
>what it was like when Takeoff and Landing were scored 0 to 10.
>Doesn't anyone remember the time spent making sure that the airplane
>wasn't rolling before announcing takeoff?  I remember using
>cigarette butts in front of wheels to prevent an airplane's rolling
>on smooth pavement.  Doesn't anyone remember the arguments between
>judges about giving a 0 because a caller released the airplane and
>grabbed it again for any reason?  Doesn't anyone remember carrying
>the airplane way down the runway to make sure there was enough
>takeoff roll, so the airplane could takeoff right in front of the
>judges?  Doesn't anyone remember the arguments on whether climb outs
>after takeoff had to be less than a certain angle?  Doesn't anyone
>remember the interminable discussions during the Pilots' Meeting on
>local field condition's effects on how the two maneuvers were to be
>judged?  Doesn't anyone remember the arguments whether a plane
>landed within the 100 foot landing zone, usually because very few
>fields had the landing zone marked?   Doesn't anyone remember all
>the time wasted on just getting the airplane off the ground and back
>on the ground within the rules that existed?
>
>I personally would like to see the takeoff and landing graded, it we
>could figure out how to do it without all the clarifying baggage and
>time wasted.  I don't see a way to do it.
>
>Ron Van Putte

Hi Ron,

Just a little advice - don't try and argue logic here.  Everybody's
too busy looking for some rope (to make a noose) to pay any attention
to your points!  ;-)

BTW - I agree with (most of) what you wrote.  I've been advocating
for almost 20 years that the scoring on takeoffs and landings should
be dropped for two reasons:  1) They're not aerobatic maneuvers, and
2) Safety is compromised (unnecessarily IMO) at virtually every
contest in the pursuit of getting that last extra point.

I've always maintained that the reward for making a nice takeoff was
you get to fly that flight, and that the reward for making a nice
landing is you get to fly the next one.

Keep yer chin up,

Jerry (who is now late for work)
--