calling complete for new takeoff

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Mon May 16 06:25:41 AKDT 2005

On May 16, 2005, at 8:52 AM, Grow Pattern wrote:

> The FAI system is a take-off procedure and landing procedure. They
> also use a time-to-do-the-schedule system. They changed over to the 0
> or 10 system to prevent hot-dogging, time-wasting and maneuver
> practicing during a contest.
>
> Did we have that problem? What was broken??

How short our memory gets at times.  Apparently nobody can remember
what it was like when Takeoff and Landing were scored 0 to 10.  Doesn't
anyone remember the time spent making sure that the airplane wasn't
rolling before announcing takeoff?  I remember using cigarette butts in
front of wheels to prevent an airplane's rolling on smooth pavement.
Doesn't anyone remember the arguments between judges about giving a 0
because a caller released the airplane and grabbed it again for any
reason?  Doesn't anyone remember carrying the airplane way down the
runway to make sure there was enough takeoff roll, so the airplane
could takeoff right in front of the judges?  Doesn't anyone remember
the arguments on whether climb outs after takeoff had to be less than a
certain angle?  Doesn't anyone remember the interminable discussions
during the Pilots' Meeting on local field condition's effects on how
the two maneuvers were to be judged?  Doesn't anyone remember the
arguments whether a plane landed within the 100 foot landing zone,
usually because very few fields had the landing zone marked?   Doesn't
anyone remember all the time wasted on just getting the airplane off
the ground and back on the ground within the rules that existed?

I personally would like to see the takeoff and landing graded, it we
could figure out how to do it without all the clarifying baggage and
time wasted.  I don't see a way to do it.

Ron Van Putte